Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Next Day - Clovelly

You know, Jenny gets rather cranky when her feet ache. We got up bright and early and were out the door by 9. On our way to unique Clovelly (Clo-veh-lee) which is a tiny seaside village down what felt like a sheer cliff. And it drizzled all morning. Slick cobblestones down a steep steep hill. Brilliant Idea. I'm amazed I didn't break an ankle.

I only get cranky when my feet get tired while shopping, looking at completely useless stuff like PINK British passport holders. Why would anyone ever?!? Passports are already laminated. They don't need covers. And we'd spent the morning walking down the aforementioned hill. Now I had no problem with heading down the cobblestones. Everyone else seemed scared out of their wits that they were going to fall on their tooshies. I headed down like a Girl Scout Camp Scherman pro. I have to keep reminding myself that my companions come from places where there are no mountains. (Kansas is as flat as a pancake.)

After we got to the bottom, we walked into the harbor where all th boats were tied up and sitting on the rocks. The tide was out so we could walk across a boat ramp and down it and across the rocks, or we could climb down a ladder. Despite my slightly odd drawings (Drawings included in original journal) you can tell who the chicken of this trip was. (Melissa) She refused to go up or down any of the ladders.

We didn't have to climb back up the cobblestone hill. Instead we pain 2 Pounds to ride up a switchbacked trail in the back of a land rover. We had a nice lunch of pasties and chips and headed off to the Dartington Crystal Factory.

It was really interesting to watch them make the glass decanters and goblets so seamlessly. We also watched a couple get their handprints imprinted in glass. All the glass blowers wore Bermuda shorts and I appreciated the chance to warm myself up and dry out my hair after a bit of a long walk in the rain from the car park. They had this annoying white line that traipsed you quite a way through the rain. Would have been faster to cut around the back.

There were a lot of things I would have considered picking up if I hadn't been worried about trunk space when we leave.

Our next stop was a mall. Not just any mall. The Atlantic... with a full sized pirate theme park attached. We skipped that and I bought Misshapes, Cadbury mistakes or imperfect chocolate from the Cadbury Factory Store. So most of them are supposed to have filling, but don't... still, chocolate is chocolate!

After some evil traffic, we got back to the chalet around six, had spaghetti and played a game called Gloom that Mel had brought where you try to kill off your characters, but only after they're really unhappy.

It's about 9:30 now and Mel and I are busy scribbling away in our journals and Clare is doing her nails. Debbie is reading. We might go back to the caberet... or maybe not. Oh yeah, and Melissa ate all the gummies.

They were delicious. I have no regrets.

Before Jenny can complain. "I didn't mean to step on her foot! It was an accident!"

NOTE TO MEL:
Mel is way too defensive. She stole the journal away from me to defend herself, thinking I was going to berate her for her clumsiness when I was actually going to draw gnomes... but no, Mel has to only think of herself. Yes, the entire world revolves around Melly.

[Picture: gnome holding sign "Gnomes on Strike until Melissa realizes she is not Queen of the World."]

[Picture: Mel with caption "Hmm. I am Queen of the World." Arrow caption "It's hard to convey a look of indignation on my face.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home